Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Cheese!

I can't believe that I have not written a post about all the amazing cheese there is over here in the Netherlands! There are so many varieties to choose from! I haven't tried them all, but you can read about the different varieties here.  Our family's favorite type of Duth cheese is Gouda.  It is a semi hard cheese which is the country's most popular cheese.  It makes up about 50 percent of the cheese produced in The Netherlands.  Another good cheese is Beemster..yes, I like that one,.too!:)

I am learning about jonge kaas( young cheese) which is aged only four weeks and has a milder flavor and oude kaas ( aged 10 months) and overjarig ( aged 1 to 2 years).

Another popular cheese mad e here is called Edam.  It makes up about twenty seven percent of the cheese produced in Holland.  It i a semi hard salty cheese which many people really like.

Maasdamer makes up about fifteen percent of the cheese made in Holland.  It has a domed shape with holes in it which are a result of the bacteria in the cheese which release gases during the maturation process.

Honestly, I could write about cheese all day long but you have to taste the cheese to really appreciate it!  I haven't been to any cheese festivals here yet, but they are very popular in different parts of the country.   And for even more information on Dutch cheeses, click here.

There is cheese all over the place here and I have been eating most of it!

Here is a picture of a part of the cheese display in the grocery store...


And a quick picture of a cheese shop right outside the grocery store...
 This is some seriously big cheese!!!
Just thought I would share with you another aspect of our life in Holland!
Until next time, doei!

No comments:

Post a Comment