Search This Blog

Friday, October 7, 2016

A Step Back in Time

On this chilly Fall morning, after I dropped the kids off at school, and made a failed attempt at  registering here with a dentist (more about that in another post...remember how I talked about in my first post that living in a different country is altogether different than visiting one? That is the kind of week I have had.)  I decided to take a bike ride to the Groningen Train Station.  I had heard from several people (including Guy, who takes the train to work everyday) how truly beautiful it is.  After a bit of a disappointing morning, I thought I should go and check it out for myself.:)  After passing the rows upon rows of bikes from commuters...


I came upon the train station.  It was actually completed in 1896 by Izaak Gosschalk, and it is built in the Neo- Gothic and Neo-Renaissance style of architecture.  You can read more about the history of the train station here.
Groningen train station

Other half.:)  I couldn't fit the whole station in my picture.:)

The train station is bustling with commuters going from here to there and back again.  But, one charming thing I noticed about the station is the piano which is sitting out for anyone to stop and play.  Today, there was a woman passing through who sat right down and "tickled the ivories".  It was pretty neat to see (and hear).:)


Main hall of the station. Can you see the Starbuck's sign??:)

The woman playing the piano in the train station.:)
And, of course, when I saw Starbuck's, I had to stop on in.  A neighbor of ours has told us it has the reputation of having the best ambience in all of Europe.  It is pretty amazing when you walk in to the wooden paneling and the stained glass, you do feel a bit like you are entering into the turn of the century Europe.  It is interesting for me to think about all the people over the years who have come and gone through the station.




 And, of course, I had to order a chocolate croissant for my YNO sisters to share.:)  Thanks for joining me, girls!:)



 And, I HAD to order a cappuccino for myself.  I think it may have been the best cup of coffee I have had in my entire life.  And, okay...I ate the croissant.  It was taking the YNO girls a bit too long to finish it.:)


Awesome cappucino:)

The main bar where you place your order.:)
 It is a great place to sit and have a great cup of coffee and people watch.  Not to mention, you can enjoy the beautiful architecture of a gorgeous building.  Thanks for joining me today.:)  Until next time!
Doei!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment