Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2016

My HEMA

When I was living in Lagos, believe it or not, I met some really fun Dutch people there.:)  Before we took our trip in 2009 to Amsterdam, they told me I had to check out the HEMA store.  I remember thinking, "What could be so interesting about this store that I hadn't already seen in the U.S. ?" When we landed in Holland then, I remember going into Hema and thinking I had hit the jackpot!  I don't know if it was because I had been living in a third world country and everything looked so much more shiny and pretty there or if HEMA was really that good....

I can now say that , yes, it is indeed that good.  After living in the U.S. and coming back over to Holland,  HEMA is my favorite go -to store:

Make-up- HEMA
wrapping paper-HEMA
school supplies-HEMA
hats, gloves, mittens- HEMA
pick up a quick bottle of wine- HEMA
underwear, socks, undershirts for the family-HEMA
anything you can't live without-HEMA:)

 I have actually started telling the kids if we can't find it at HEMA, we probably don't need it.:)  I know to my American friends it may sound like a Wal- Mart.  But, it isn't like that...it doesn't have masses of items piled on the shelves.  Everything in the store seems to be thoughtfully placed and subtly advertised.  I LOVE it!:)

 I remember a Dutch friend telling me while I lived in Lagos that many Dutch women will say," Don't forget my HEMA."  I now know what they mean.:)

My Flat YNO sisters went with me to HEMA last week:)

a peek inside the bottom floor ( it has 3 floors)

The cafe on the top floor.:)
I love seeing all the Dutch characters and various items I haven't seen before.  Jip and Janneke is a children's book series.  Since some of my very good friends know I love to hoard children's books (what kindergarten teacher doesn't?), these will be on my list to purchase while here in Holland.  The books are written in simple language for children to read, and they are about two children from Holland as you can see below.:)  I haven't seen any in English yet, but I see that I can purchase them in English from this site and also this site.


Jip and Janneke merchandise at HEMA.:)



Rammelaar Muis

Cafe on the top floor of the HEMA:)


I found this great website which talks about alot of things I have also observed in the Dutch culture.  I am finding out that I am much more Dutch than I realized...who doesn't love something sweet in the morning for breakfast?  You'll have to go to the link above to understand what I mean.:)
The Groninger Koek is delicious as you can see by almost none of it left! Yes, it is specific only to Groningen and you can read more about it here.
Ok, now I am getting a bit off track.  But if you do read the link I pasted in the post, you will understand why the people of Holland LOVE their HEMA and so many other things that make The Netherlands such a wonderful country.  Thanks for stopping by!  Now I am off to put on a sweater...after not living in a place with real seasons for almost 20 years, this warm climate girl is slowly getting used to the dipping temps!  I'll post more about that soon!:)

Doei!


No comments:

Post a Comment